What this BLOG is all about ...

Paris is one of the most photographed and photogenic cities on the planet. With a little pocket camera I arrived to record my first ever visit. Converting my prints to digital, and despite scanning at the highest resolution available, the imperfections of these shots became more obvious. I decided to use post processing software to sharpen them, with even sadder results ... and then I applied a watercolour filter. The almost impressionist results were magic. Judge for yourself.

Hints on using this Blog..

LClick on any image to view an enlarged version.
Use the Panoramio and Picasa links below to see the images with their Paris location maps.
Watch the image slideshow to preview sites visited on the blog
Browse through the BLOG ARCHIVES or SEARCH THIS BLOG for topics on places in Paris using key words related to your search.
Leave comments on your thoughts about your visit
...and do invite your friends to share your Parisian experience.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Paris - Palace Gates - Versailles


Plate CIII Palace Gates
Contrasted against the mildly clouding blue skies, the gilded Palace gates assured me I was in for a Royal experience. To remind one that this was after all the one time home of the man called the Sun King, the main emblem atop the palace gates is a crowned and gilded sun - the insignia of Louis XIV.
I couldn’t help wondering if there is someone, or a firm, in Europe who maintains all these black-and-gold iron masterpieces? There certainly are a number of them in most major European cities and every one manages to be impressive.
I had no portent as I entered the gates of the storm that was about to come, nor how quickly it would gather, turn my visit into an unforgettable experience, and then clear - leaving me wondering if, but for the residual puddles, I had dreamed it all.  But then, the Palace of Versailles itself has rather the same effect.




No comments:

Post a Comment