What this BLOG is all about ...

Paris is one of the most photographed and photogenic cities on the planet. With a little pocket camera I arrived to record my first ever visit. Converting my prints to digital, and despite scanning at the highest resolution available, the imperfections of these shots became more obvious. I decided to use post processing software to sharpen them, with even sadder results ... and then I applied a watercolour filter. The almost impressionist results were magic. Judge for yourself.

Hints on using this Blog..

LClick on any image to view an enlarged version.
Use the Panoramio and Picasa links below to see the images with their Paris location maps.
Watch the image slideshow to preview sites visited on the blog
Browse through the BLOG ARCHIVES or SEARCH THIS BLOG for topics on places in Paris using key words related to your search.
Leave comments on your thoughts about your visit
...and do invite your friends to share your Parisian experience.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Paris - Place Hoche - Versailles



Plate CII Place Hoche
Perhaps including Versailles in this Paris collection is stretching the city’s boundaries a little, but the Royal town is very clear amongst my memories of the trip. Arriving in Versailles – primarily to visit the Palace I was delighted to find there was more to the town than that one attraction. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and the day held great promise. I eagerly anticipated an extensive viewing of not only the palace and its buildings, but also the more or less 800 hectares of Grand Gardens.
Coming from a right hand drive country and not having been man enough to take on the main Parisian traffic, I had put my recently acquired international driver’s licence to use, hiring a Renault Twingo on the outskirts of the city to drive first to Sèvres and now also to Versailles. I almost felt brave enough after the experience to try my luck at Etoile!!
I stopped near Place Hoche with this view of Versailles’ own Notre Dame church behind, to admire the gardens and the statue of the man who, had he lived longer, and but for Napoleon, may have been the leading French military figure of his age. General Lazare Hoche (1768 – 1797), was born in Versailles of poor parents, was largely self educated and became a general of the revolutionary and Napoleonic armies, achieving great accomplishments both in war and in peacemaking in his short 13 year career.
The slightly cloudy but clear weather that greeted my arrival was about to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment