What this BLOG is all about ...

Paris is one of the most photographed and photogenic cities on the planet. With a little pocket camera I arrived to record my first ever visit. Converting my prints to digital, and despite scanning at the highest resolution available, the imperfections of these shots became more obvious. I decided to use post processing software to sharpen them, with even sadder results ... and then I applied a watercolour filter. The almost impressionist results were magic. Judge for yourself.

Hints on using this Blog..

LClick on any image to view an enlarged version.
Use the Panoramio and Picasa links below to see the images with their Paris location maps.
Watch the image slideshow to preview sites visited on the blog
Browse through the BLOG ARCHIVES or SEARCH THIS BLOG for topics on places in Paris using key words related to your search.
Leave comments on your thoughts about your visit
...and do invite your friends to share your Parisian experience.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Paris - Parc Monceau - 8me



 Plate LXXX Parc Monceau 
I can still recall the date, and even the time, of my arrival at the gates of Parc Monceau. I recall the fact that the usually bustling Metro and the very streets of Paris, were unusually quiet this day as I made my way towards upper part of the arrondissement. I recall too that the Rotunda entrance to the Parc was decidedly closed at what I understood was opening time. It was September 25th. For those who do not live in a country where daylight savings takes place (as I do not) you would never expect to wake up with your pre-set alarm and expect to find the day a full hour younger than you expected find it – if you get my meaning. September 25th was the date on which Parisians (and much of Europe) set their clocks and watches backwards by one hour – it becomes winter time - and the somehow noticeably different skies of the morning should have informed me that something was changed.  I did not notice the disparity between my watch and the city clocks throughout the day, and it was not until late afternoon when the Palais Luxembourg did not close at the time I expected it to do so, that I discovered what exactly that difference was.
Public property after the execution of its founder during the Revolution, the gardens of the Parc Monceau were first established in 1769 by the Duke of Chartres who, Anglophile that he was, requested landscaper Louis Carmontelle to create an English styled design. This implied randomly placed statuary along curved pathways and less formality than was found in typical Parisian gardens of the time.
Immortalised in a series of paintings by Monet, the Parc is today a semi-private estate with the city having purchased the land in 1860. This led to a redesign of the grounds by Thomas Blaikie, but many of Carmontelle’s original features remain. Baron Haussman, in his redesign of the city, preserved some half of the area as green space the remainder being allocated for private housing with direct twenty-four hour access to the gardens.
The first recorded silk parachute jump took place from a hot air balloon over the Parc in 1797, and “la semaine sanglante” in 1871 saw a massacre of Paris Communards in the Parc’s grounds at the hands of the troops of Napoleon III. The tranquil hour or so I spent wandering through the grounds of what I found to be one of the city’s most attractive open spaces with its statues of public figures and musicians gave no hint of that horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment