What this BLOG is all about ...

Paris is one of the most photographed and photogenic cities on the planet. With a little pocket camera I arrived to record my first ever visit. Converting my prints to digital, and despite scanning at the highest resolution available, the imperfections of these shots became more obvious. I decided to use post processing software to sharpen them, with even sadder results ... and then I applied a watercolour filter. The almost impressionist results were magic. Judge for yourself.

Hints on using this Blog..

LClick on any image to view an enlarged version.
Use the Panoramio and Picasa links below to see the images with their Paris location maps.
Watch the image slideshow to preview sites visited on the blog
Browse through the BLOG ARCHIVES or SEARCH THIS BLOG for topics on places in Paris using key words related to your search.
Leave comments on your thoughts about your visit
...and do invite your friends to share your Parisian experience.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Paris - Galeries Lafayette - Cuddlies - 9me


Plate LXXXIII - Cuddlies at Galeries Lafayette 
I’d like to sound knowledgeable in French and say this was the pelucherie at Galeries Lafayette. But I think that was actually the name of a store stocking cuddly toys, found in an arcade off the Champs Elysées – so I’ll leave it as Cuddlies.
I was quite astounded at the range of Teddy Bears and other soft toys to be found in this section, and it is indicative of the vast extent of merchandise kept in the various departments at the Galeries. Sizes ranged from mini pocket versions to some almost life size, and included not just the traditional bears, but many members of the cat family, camels and birds - and a good representation of different dog breeds. Fancy a life-sized Rotweiller?
This is probably an appropriate time to mention the often quoted ‘fact’ that the dog population of Paris is said to be greater than that of its children. I’m not sure how true this is, I certainly noticed no shortage of younger generation humans, but it was also very evident that Parisians do like their canine companions and it is not uncommon to see them accompanying their owners on the Metro trains and in restaurants. I had been warned by friends (inexplicably they’re not fans of the city) to watch where treading when walking around Paris as it would be a rare day when you’d return to the hotel without having to do at least one shoe cleaning session to remove the ubiquitous doggy doo from the soles of your shoes. I simply did not find this so. But perhaps being a dog lover the dog-gods take care of their own!!
As an owner of the breed I was tempted here by a very lifelike velvety Rotweiller, but remembering I had limits on my luggage, I left him with the rest of his pack for another future owner – who knows - maybe even a rare Parisian child ;-)….
And will some let me know – is this officially known as a pelucherie?

No comments:

Post a Comment