What this BLOG is all about ...

Paris is one of the most photographed and photogenic cities on the planet. With a little pocket camera I arrived to record my first ever visit. Converting my prints to digital, and despite scanning at the highest resolution available, the imperfections of these shots became more obvious. I decided to use post processing software to sharpen them, with even sadder results ... and then I applied a watercolour filter. The almost impressionist results were magic. Judge for yourself.

Hints on using this Blog..

LClick on any image to view an enlarged version.
Use the Panoramio and Picasa links below to see the images with their Paris location maps.
Watch the image slideshow to preview sites visited on the blog
Browse through the BLOG ARCHIVES or SEARCH THIS BLOG for topics on places in Paris using key words related to your search.
Leave comments on your thoughts about your visit
...and do invite your friends to share your Parisian experience.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Paris - Inverted Pyramid - 1er



Plate XV - Inverted Pyramide...
Beneath the forecourt of the Louvre’s Place du Carrousel, also accessed from the Rue de Rivoli, is an exclusive small shopping arcade known as the Carrousel du Louvre. It is here that one can see the Inverse or Upside Down Pyramid, part of Pei’s architectural themed use of the form. The centre houses many fine shops, some dealing in a vast and multilingual selection of Louvre related books and souvenirs. I bought a magnificent 5,000 piece jigsaw puzzle of David’s painting of Napoleon Crowning Josephine - Le Sacre de Napoléon (the Louvre version – if, as mentioned in an earlier post, I couldn’t get to see the traveling original at least I could piece it together when I got home.) I also believe Apple, in 2009, opened its flagship Paris store in the arcade. 

Beneath the inverted transparent chalice lies a second stone pyramid form, the two almost, but not quite, meeting apex to apex. Readers of Dan Brown’s novel ‘The Da Vinci Code’ will recognise this as a significant climactic location of the plot of the story, for this stone form is the artifact he describes in his novel as “...the tiny structure”. Reading this book some years after my initial visit to the city I was amazed at how many of the locations used in Brown’s story of the Rose Line I had visited. 
If I’d only had Brown’s imagination ……

No comments:

Post a Comment