What this BLOG is all about ...

Paris is one of the most photographed and photogenic cities on the planet. With a little pocket camera I arrived to record my first ever visit. Converting my prints to digital, and despite scanning at the highest resolution available, the imperfections of these shots became more obvious. I decided to use post processing software to sharpen them, with even sadder results ... and then I applied a watercolour filter. The almost impressionist results were magic. Judge for yourself.

Hints on using this Blog..

LClick on any image to view an enlarged version.
Use the Panoramio and Picasa links below to see the images with their Paris location maps.
Watch the image slideshow to preview sites visited on the blog
Browse through the BLOG ARCHIVES or SEARCH THIS BLOG for topics on places in Paris using key words related to your search.
Leave comments on your thoughts about your visit
...and do invite your friends to share your Parisian experience.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Paris - Hôtel Biron Gardens - 7me


Plate LVIII - Gardens of the Hotel Biron
I thought I had planned a sensible itinerary for my stay in Paris. Visiting Les Invalides and the Hôtel Biron on two consecutive days, it was only when I saw the dome of Les Invalides above the hedges of the Hotel Biron gardens that I realised how close they are (very). I obviously hadn’t done a good enough job of familiarising myself with my maps of Paris.
The hotel is surrounded by some three hectares of grounds; unusual for the times, but Hôtel Biron was without question the best address in the mainly suburban neighbourhood. A 1752 plan of the house shows how the gardens were designed, with matching parterres, and gravelled, shaped compartments. Tightly clipped conical shrubs (one of which can be seen the image), a feature of French gardens popular to this day lined the central gravel walk. Some of the formality was removed by Biron in favour of a more English park like landscape, a character remaining, and providing an excellent showcase for some of Rodin’s larger works including the Thinker, The Burgers of Calais, his brilliant and brooding statue of Balzac, and a cast of Rodin’s uncompleted final work the Gates of Hell - doors commissioned for the then planned Museum of Decorative Arts - illustrating scenes from Dante’s Inferno.

No comments:

Post a Comment