What this BLOG is all about ...

Paris is one of the most photographed and photogenic cities on the planet. With a little pocket camera I arrived to record my first ever visit. Converting my prints to digital, and despite scanning at the highest resolution available, the imperfections of these shots became more obvious. I decided to use post processing software to sharpen them, with even sadder results ... and then I applied a watercolour filter. The almost impressionist results were magic. Judge for yourself.

Hints on using this Blog..

LClick on any image to view an enlarged version.
Use the Panoramio and Picasa links below to see the images with their Paris location maps.
Watch the image slideshow to preview sites visited on the blog
Browse through the BLOG ARCHIVES or SEARCH THIS BLOG for topics on places in Paris using key words related to your search.
Leave comments on your thoughts about your visit
...and do invite your friends to share your Parisian experience.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Paris - The Ecole Militaire - 7me


Plate LXIV The Military Academy
I have at least two occasional recurring dreams. One has me back at school, the other back in the army (I was part of a generation of conscripted military trainees). Neither was a time I'd voluntarily relive - so my fascination with, and visit to, a military academy (combining those two facets of life) seems a little inexplicable. But - such is the effect of the passage of time: while history was a school subject I'd rather have avoided, as I've grown older my fascination with the past has grown deeper and stronger. So, down the other notable Champs of Paris I went walking.
The panoramic Champs de Mars which lies before Eiffel’s famous tower was once the parade ground of the Military Academy (Ecole Militaire).
The academy buildings, completed by Jacques-Ange Gabriel (who also laid out the Place de la Concorde) in 1773 still house the French War College, and public visits are not generally allowed. The Ecole was built in the reign of Louis XIV on an initiative backed by the King’s mistress Madame de Pompadour, who apparently believed that young men from all walks of life, especially the lower classes, should be able to pursue a military career. It was here after his first year that a young Corsican named Napoleon Bonaparte graduated as a second lieutenant (artillery) in 1785. A later notable graduate of the école was Charles de Gaulle.

2 comments:

  1. Can one visit inside the Ecole Militaire, to see the chapel where Napoleon graduated, for example? If anyone knows, please email me at mrodenberg@comcast.net.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret - as a working military establishment and college, public visits inside the Ecole Militaire are generally not permitted. I do believe however that parts of the Ecole are opened on the Journées du Patrimoine (Heritage Days)during September. Venues and attractions vary annually and you will need to consult the official programme each year.
    http://www.journeesdupatrimoine.culture.fr/

    ReplyDelete