What this BLOG is all about ...

Paris is one of the most photographed and photogenic cities on the planet. With a little pocket camera I arrived to record my first ever visit. Converting my prints to digital, and despite scanning at the highest resolution available, the imperfections of these shots became more obvious. I decided to use post processing software to sharpen them, with even sadder results ... and then I applied a watercolour filter. The almost impressionist results were magic. Judge for yourself.

Hints on using this Blog..

LClick on any image to view an enlarged version.
Use the Panoramio and Picasa links below to see the images with their Paris location maps.
Watch the image slideshow to preview sites visited on the blog
Browse through the BLOG ARCHIVES or SEARCH THIS BLOG for topics on places in Paris using key words related to your search.
Leave comments on your thoughts about your visit
...and do invite your friends to share your Parisian experience.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Paris - La Défense - La Défense



Plate I - La Defense
I had flown into Orly airport at around midday, and taken the Orlyval and various metro or RER trains to reach my hotel, only a stone’s throw from the RER stop at Nanterre Préfecture. I will confess to having been so overconfident that I could navigate the city like a native Parisian that I hadn’t noticed that two opposing direction metro lines terminated at either Boissy or Poissy (of course I could have confused myself even further had I known there was another headed for Roissy).  Clearly remembering only the ‘oissy part of where I was going (and assuming there was only one), I followed the signs at Chatelet to the Boissy option and nervously realised I was headed in the wrong direction for La Défense only some four station stops later. Who cared … I was in Paris (or under it). Having had glimpses of parts of the city when the train ran above ground, I could not wait to start discovering this destination I had so long dreamed of visiting. 
My hotel was indeed a very short walk from the RER (it was in fact built immediately above the underground rail tracks and at night the rumble of the trains either kept you awake … or lulled you into sleep). I deposited my baggage in my room, and without even pausing to refresh myself from the long overnight flight from South Africa, I set out to discover as much about the city as I could on day one. I could not wait as long as it would take to reach Etoile, and started my familiarisation with La Defense.
Coming up to ground level a carousel was operating in the large public space between the office blocks and shopping centres of La Défense. Activity was brisk … and it appeared that an ambulance was on hand to cater for any heart stoppages I may have experienced as I finally got my first real glimpse of Paris. I knew immediately I was going to love the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment